Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Saving Time Cooking

I've not had many recipes for you lately, so I'll try to make it up to you by posting 2 Crock Pot Recipes. With it being cold outside I thought a good Crock Pot soup would be nice and with the Holidays coming up I thought an easy Crock Pot recipe that everyone will love would come in handy.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

2 16oz packages of frozen chopped broccoli
2 cans condensed cheddar cheese soup
2 12 oz cans evaporated milk
1/4 C onion powder
1t salt
1t pepper
1/2 C (1 stick) margarine
2 C Cheddar Cheese

Put all ingredients except the margarine and Cheddar Cheese into the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours. 30 minutes before serving add the margarine and Cheddar Cheese. Stir well. Serve with crusty bread.

Okay, this is soooo not a healthy recipe, but it is really good and not that expensive to make if you get the ingredients on sale. I use cheap chopped broccoli because the pieces seem to be smaller which works great in a soup. I used sharp cheese for the 1st time today and that worked just as well as mild, so you can pick which one you use. The base recipe for this came from 101Things to Do With A Slow Cooker. I added the margarine and cheese because I thought it was a little bland and needed a punch. So, try it before you add them and see if you like it that way, if you think it needs the extra punch, add the extra ingredients. I get my crusty bread from the day old bakery shelf. This time I found Italian and Sour Dough for $.99. Yummy.

Cherries Jubilee for the Crock Pot

2 Cans cherry pie filling
1 box white or yellow cake mix
1/2 C (1 stick) melted Margarine or Butter

Put cherries in crock pot. Sprinkle cake mix evenly over cherries. Spread melted margarine or butter over the cake mix as evenly as possible. Cook on low heat for 4 hours or high heat for 2 hours.

Okay, I have no clue where I got this recipe from, but it is delicious! My friends ask me to bring this to get-togethers. If you don't want to use the crock pot, you can even make this in the oven:

Cherries Jubilee in the Oven

2 Cans cherry pie filling
1 box white or yellow cake mix
1/2 C plus 2 T melted Margarine or Butter

Put cherries in a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle cake mix evenly over cherries. Spread melted margarine or butter over the cake mix as evenly as possible. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until cherries are bubbly and cake mix is a golden color.

The extra 2 T of margarine or butter really helps when making this in the oven. I guess because it's not covered more moisture leaves and the cake part gets kinda dry or the extra liquid helps that.

Serve with ice cream or whipped cream if you want. I personally prefer it straight up. Yummy.

Happy Savings!

1 Comment:

Lori said...

I have this same recipe I've made it in the oven but was strictly told NOT to stir ingredients just DUMP in. I add a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar ontop. We call it DUMP cake.