Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Saving Sherry and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Morning

Ever had a really bad day? I mean a really, really bad day? This morning, I had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Let me tell you about it (it will save me from calling all of my friends to tell them individually).

My morning started all normal and fine. I had plans to return a diaper study to a local business that I do studies for and while I was there I had an appointment to do another study. My appointment was at 11:05, so I left the house at 10:10 to make a 30 minute drive. I really hate being late and try to always be early to everything, plus that would give me time to drop off the diaper study before my appointment. So, I got on the highway and headed south and immediately hit some serious traffic. Long story short, 2 hours later I finally finished my 30 minute drive (the first 10 miles took 1:30 minutes of that time, I'm skipping past the crying, fighting and screaming involved with 2 3 year olds and a 1 year old in their car seats, not moving for this amount of time). So, I missed my appointment and lost out on a $40 study. THEN as I go to return my diaper study, I realize that I left the notebook that I recorded all the information in at home. Without the notebook, I don't get paid for THAT study either. So, now the boys are starving, my van's gas light is on so I MUST get gas and to get paid for my study I have to make it home and back in about an hour. (pausing for deep breathing and prayers before I go on in the story)

Okay, after fighting with my son to use the potty before we got back in the van to meet my parents and grandmother at the Creation Museum I had had enough. I was near tears and my cell phone rang. It was my wonderful husband. Apparently his "my wife is having an emotional crisis, I'd better check in with her" radar went off. I was immediately in tears. I told him what had happened (Oh, I forgot to tell you that the handle on the inside of my van broke when I got in the back to get the stuff to return for my study!) and told him that if I had to go home I wouldn't get to see my parents and grandma (they don't live around here, their church group made a bus trip to the Creation Museum) he told me to calm down, went on his lunch break and headed home to get the notebook to turn it in for me. (I love you Baby!!!)

THEN, we headed to Wendy's to get some lunch because they were not going to be able to make it the 30 minutes it required to drive to the museum where we were supposed to be currently eating lunch. I got the boys some chicken nuggets, fries and milk and got myself a Coke (a large, because I deserved it) and a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, plain. That is how I always (for at least 4 years now) order it. It means I just want with cheese and bacon on it. Well, after getting the boys their food situated and getting back on the highway toward Kentucky I went to take a big, long drink of my precious Coke. I opened my straw and put it in my cup and went to take a drink only to discover that the end of my straw was sealed shut. Yup. When they went to cut that one they actually sealed it shut. Luckily I had an extra straw in my car so that was a relatively easy fix (although it only added to the frustration of the day). Okay, now I've had a nice drink and I'm ready to eat my burger. I reach in the bag, pull out the burger and take a bite only to discover that I'm biting into a bun with a plain hamburger patty on it. Yup, to this particular Wendy's apparently a Jr Bacon Cheeseburger, plain means nothing but a patty.

It was at that point in my day that I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry. I chose neither. I just prayed and sang along with the Veggie Tales CD playing endlessly in the van.


Hamrickboyzrule said...

Thank goodness for Veggie Tales ;op
Prov 3:5: Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

Lori said...

sorry you had a rotten day yesterday. I hope today was so much better for you.