Monday, June 1, 2009

Not Me Monday


Welcome to another edition of Not Me! Monday. Check out My Charming Kids to see many, many more blogs participating!

Let's see, what did I do, I mean, NOT do this week. . . Hmmm. . . Okay, here we go!

I did not refuse to let my son get a sucker at the bank last Friday. Wait, let me back up and tell you the WHOLE story. I was having a yard sale on Saturday, so I stopped at the bank to pick up some change. I rarely ever need to actually go inside a bank, so this was new to the boys. I pulled in the parking lot and turned off the van. I turned to face Drew and Blake and I told them that I wanted them to stay right beside me, there was to be no running around, no yelling and no going away from my side. I told them that if I asked them to sit down they were to sit by my feet. So, we go in the bank and Drew starts yelling and running around (I was sooooo embarrassed!) and I remind him that he will not get a sucker unless he calms down. Okay, long story shorter, he does not calm down and when we go to leave the teller (who told me she has 3 boys) offers the boys suckers. I say "We only need 1, please" because Blake has been good and Drew has been so very far opposite of that word! She then proceeds to tell Drew that he can have one too! Umm, NO!! So, I drag a screaming Drew out of the bank while holding Jacob, who also wanted a sucker, but is too young and following along is Blake, happily sucking on his. I turn around to tell Blake to hurry up while I'm holding the door open, only to glance at the tellers talking about what a horrible person I am. Ugh. What's a mother to do? Oh, wait, this didn't really happen! I would NEVER deprive my child of candy no matter how bad his behavior is! I am a model mother and children deserve candy at all times! Oh, good, it's all okay now!

I did not have the only crying child at his preschool graduation last week! Nope, there is no way that Drew was the only kid crying and not participating in the songs. He was adorable while he sang along with the other kids to 'The Wheels on the Bus' and 'Itsy Bitsy Spider' and danced the Chicken Dance. There is no way that the little girl next to him was trying to show him how to do the motions trying to comfort him. Nope, not my kid!

Okay, I have so many more Not Me! ideas, but I also have to get some stuff done around the house today! I think my husband would not appreciate it if I typed all day long (because I actually think I could. . . it's been a rough week!) so I'm going to get to work now! (Also because I know that one day Drew is going to read this blog and I want him to know that I love him! He's a really active, spirited child and I never know what each day will bring, but I love him very much and I can't imagine my life without him!)

4 Comments:

Sara Sexton said...

Awww...crying at graduation. That's priceless.

I totally wouldn't be going back inside the bank anytime soon. I've trained my tellers to hide the candy dish when I walk up! ha! :)

Kelly said...

Why would the bank teller argue with your over your parenting decisions? I bet her kids are misbehaved if she doesn't follow through with discipline. Just because it's easier to give them a sucker in the short term doesn't mean it's the right thing to do in the long term.

Lori said...

OMgoodness! I had to jump up on my posture when I read the bank teller said he could have one! That is totally way out of line. Your the mom and I think you did the right thing. (not that my opinion counts)

marybeth at www.babygoodbuys.com said...

Very cute story! Can't believe the bank teller, though :)