Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Saving Time Cooking

This recipe I stole, ummm, borrowed from my friend Pam. Thanks Pam! She brought it to us after I had Jake and we just had to have the recipe!

Chicken Enchiladas

6-8 chicken breasts
1 Jar hot salsa
1 package flour tortillas
1 16oz container of sour cream
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 small can chopped green chilies
2 C shredded Monterrey Jack/Colby cheese mix

Put the chicken and salsa in the crock pot on low. Let it cook until chicken breasts are cooked and easily shredded (usually about 8 hours, you can cook them all day or overnight). When chicken is cooked, put 1/2 shredded chicken into a freezer bag or other freezer storage container (I'll tell you why later).

Mix sour cream, soup, chilies and 1 C cheese in sauce pan until warm. Place the remaining 1/2 shredded chicken into tortillas and roll, line them up in a pan (I use 9x13) roll side down, repeat until pan is full or you run out of tortillas or chicken. Pour mixture from sauce pan over the lined up tortillas. Sprinkle remaining cheese over and cover with foil. Bake at 350 until hot and bubbly or place in fridge or freezer until needed.

Okay, Pam uses fat free, low carb soft tacos, I use normal, filled with bad stuff, burritos. So, use whatever you want. You can use everything else low fat or fat free if you want. It still works!

I doubled the chicken and salsa part of this recipe when I started making it because you now have enough seasoned, cooked, shredded chicken to make chicken tacos. Place in a freezer bag and use it at will. 2 meals at once! I usually just use a bag of frozen chicken breasts, they are 4lb bags. You will want to let them thaw before using them in the crock pot, otherwise the salsa will be really runny and the chicken won't have as much flavor (I know that, now). The hot salsa does not make the enchiladas hot, I promise. I don't do hot. At all. I don't even do mild salsa because it is too hot for me. After cooking for hours the salsa looses it's hotness. I'm not sure that was a word, but that's the truth.

Chicken Tacos

1/2 Shredded Chicken left over from Chicken Enchiladas
Taco shells, hard or soft
Shredded Cheese
Any other toppings you want: sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, whatever you like

Heat chicken. Build your taco. Enjoy!

Happy Savings!

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this the recipe you made for me when I had Elli? We really enjoyed it!

Saving Sherry said...

Hannah,
Yup, that's it. Have at it!

Anonymous said...

Did you still want recipes from us too? Or is there a different place to post them?

Saving Sherry said...

Anna-
Please leave them there or you can e-mail them to me!

Thanks!