Thursday, August 14, 2008

Saving Time Doing Laundry

Okay, I'll admit it. I sometimes forget to start the laundry, realize it's 10:30 at night and I needed to get 3 loads done that day. I'm horrible about that! If I can just get the first load started, I'm usually okay and can do the rest. When I get up in the morning, I sometimes think about it, but I'm taking care of getting the boys fed and getting diapers changed and I feel like I don't have time at that moment to go upstairs and get a load of laundry. Then I just forget.

I recently discovered a trick to help me get that first load going. I put a load of laundry in the washer at night before I go to bed! No, I don't turn it on, I don't add detergent and I don't even close the lid. I just put the clothes in the washer so that in the morning it will only take me a few seconds to get a load going.

I told my friend who is a working mom about my new tactic and she said that if she starts a load in the morning, by the time she gets home it already has that gross smell to it. I suggested she put the load in before bed like me and start it when she gets home from work.

I think this is a great idea and I'm going to try to stick with it. Even if I only get that load washed that day, that's 1 load of clean clothes! Now, if I could just come up with a time saving way to fold them and put them away. . .

Happy Savings!

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Wash towels at bedtime. Wake-up put towels into dryer. The clothes you brought down to wash last night also load but don't start until after you take a hot shower or when you get home from work start. And your towels will be dry before you leave for work and no worry about wrinkles. YOU NOW HAVE 2 LOADS ALL MOST DONE. 3 children year around sports it's the only way I get caught up.

Lori said...

At my house I have 3 baskets one for whites and blacks, easy to seperate even a kid can do that. One for pinks, purples and reds, and the other gets the rest. The sorting is down to a minute if that.