Friday, August 8, 2008

Saving Sanity on Road Trips

As I have mentioned before, my husband and I have an (almost) 3 year old. We do not have any family in town and we have to travel at least 2 hours to get to the nearest grandparent. Drew is a very high energy child and I'm not sure he knows the meaning of the phrase "sit still". Road trips were fine until he was about 16 months old, then they became scream fests. I told Rob we needed to buy a portable DVD player. Rob felt we didn't need one, he felt that Drew needed to learn to ride in the car and use his imagination to amuse himself.

I bought a portable DVD player. I know, a wife should submit to her husband, but he was just plain wrong on this one. (He even admits this now.) We used it for every car trip to the grandparents for about a year. It was lovely. Now he can amuse himself and we don't usually use it and we never start the trip with it out.

I guess the moral of this post is if you have a high energy toddler who loves to watch Backyardagains and Blue's Clues a portable DVD player will save your sanity if you spend much time traveling. I'll have to post later how it saved our trip to California for my brother-in-laws wedding. I think I actually may have kissed that thing!

Happy Saving!

0 Comments: